Spring is the perfect time to declutter, reorganize, and refresh your home. As an interior designer who values sustainability and the positive impact of a well-designed space for one's health and wellbeing, I believe that spring cleaning goes beyond just the physical act of cleaning and decluttering; it’s an opportunity to create a more mindful and intentional living environment that can enhance our daily lives.
Here are five tips to help you spring clean sustainably and create a space that promotes health and wellbeing:
- Declutter With Purpose Start by taking a step back to assess your space. Ask yourself what items are essential and what you can do without. Decluttering can be a daunting task, but it’s crucial to creating a healthy and functional space. Consider donating, selling, or recycling items that you no longer need. You can also repurpose items to give them a new life and prevent unnecessary waste.
- Choose Natural Cleaning Products Many conventional cleaning products contain harmful chemicals that can impact our health and the environment. There are many recipes online to make your own, or read the ingredients of the natural cleaning products at your local grocery store. These products are just as effective, affordable, and kinder to the environment.
- Invest in Sustainable Storage Solutions Organizing your space with sustainable storage solutions can make a big difference in how your home feels. Look for products made from sustainable materials such as bamboo, cork, or recycled plastic. You can also repurpose items such as baskets or jars to create a more natural and unique look.
- Incorporate Natural Elements Into Your Home Natural light is essential for creating a bright, welcoming home. Make sure to clean your windows and remove any heavy curtains or blinds that block light. If you need privacy, consider using sheer curtains or shades that allow light to filter in. Incorporating plants throughout your home not only adds a touch of greenery to your space, but they also have a positive impact on our health and wellbeing. Studies show that plants can help reduce stress, increase productivity, and purify the air.
- Create a Calming and Relaxing Environment Your home should be a place where you can unwind and relax after a long day. Creating a calming and relaxing environment can help promote rest and rejuvenation. Consider incorporating natural materials such as wood or stone, using soft and soothing colors, and adding elements such as candles or essential oils to create a peaceful ambiance.
Spring cleaning is not just about cleaning your home; it's about creating a more sustainable and mindful living environment that promotes health and wellbeing. By following these five tips, you can transform your space into a sanctuary that enhances your daily life. So, this spring, take the time to clean with purpose and intention, and you'll see the positive impact it can have on your overall well being.
Ranger Design Co
Ranger Design Co. is a Kelowna-based interior design company that focuses on intentional design. Working on both residential and commercial projects, they are passionate about creating unique, sustainable solutions to design challenges while keeping health and wellbeing at the forefront. Utilizing a succinct 8-step design process, their clients can expect a fun and transparent experience from start to finish.
Leah Penner is the Owner and Principal Designer of Ranger Design Co.